The Old Lodge Lane Story
Old Lodge Lane Baptist Church was officially opened in July 1959 but the OLLBC story begins back in 1949 when Mr. Vernon and Mrs. Connie Vail, members of Purley Baptist Church in Banstead Road, started a Sunday School in their home for children in and around Old Lodge Lane. As the 1950s progressed the school grew to the point where there was hardly enough room for all the children.
Then Surrey County Council offered a site to any church prepared to develop it, and Purley Baptist Church gladly accepted. A simple but attractive building was erected at a total cost of about £9,000. As was fitting, Connie Vail performed the opening ceremony in July 1959, and in February 1960 the Rev. David Kingdon was officially appointed the church’s first pastor.
David left in 1964 and was followed in by Geoffrey Richards who was ordained in July 1965 and continued here until February 1967. During his ministry, the buildings were extended with the addition in 1964 of a new prefabricated hall.
During 1960s Old Lodge Lane became increasingly autonomous. The first move came in 1961 when four deacons were appointed with special responsibility for business affairs. The process was to continue in 1968 when the Purley Baptist membership list was divided between the churches and the members at the Lane assumed responsibility for virtually all matters affecting their work.
However, the leadership at Old Lodge Lane continued to change frequently. Geoff Richards was succeeded by Rev. A.J. Sleeman followed by two members of Purley Baptist who were deputed to lead the work at Old Lodge Lane until 1969 when Rev. John Pearse became pastor.
In 1971 another newly ordained minister, Rev John Maile, was inducted where he stayed until late 1974. Rev Bill Mumby, one of the ministry team at Purley Baptist, was given responsibility for Old Lodge Lane in September 1975 where he spent the next 13 years.
The church continued to reach out to the local community and with the youth groups, playschool, children’s choir, and many more, it became increasingly difficult to accommodate all the activities going on. So, a new hall and kitchen were added in the early 1980s the price tag was £51,000, nearly six times the cost of the original building.
In September 1992 Stephen Harrison, another newly ordained minister, was inducted. He developed the community outreach activities which have always been a feature of Old Lodge Lane Baptist Church and oversaw further building works in 1996.
1999 saw Rev Harrison moving to Watford and also the 40th-anniversary celebration on 11th July. The service was led by Rev David Murray, who shortly thereafter was to become the next full-time pastor.
David was here until 2005 and was succeeded by Rev Nigel Jones as Moderator, assisted by a team of deacons.
Then in 2010 our current Pastor, Nick Graves, was appointed. Nick has enthusiastically accepted the challenge and continues to lead the way in taking the message of Christ’s gospel of love to the local community.
It was during Bill Mumby’s tenure, on 30th June 1984, that Old Lodge Lane Baptist Church became independent of Purley Baptist. Exactly one week later we celebrated our 25th anniversary. Bill Mumby remained in post for another four years and when he left, the church was entrusted to Rev Derek Mucklow and Arthur Rowe as Moderators.
Meet The Wonderful Team at OLLBC
The Church Leadership team
Nick is supported by an amazing team of church leaders who make sure all the runnings of Old Lodge Lane Church are smooth and everyone is welcome at this amazing church.
Pastor Nick Graves
Nick is the Pastor of Old Lodge Lane Baptist Church. He is assisted by a Pastoral Team who take care of the spiritual side of church life, and a Diaconate Team who look after day to day business.